Site icon

Suspected and Confirmed Measles Deaths Top 500 in Bangladesh

DHAKA, May 23 (Reuters) – At least ⁠86 ⁠children have died ⁠from confirmed measles infections in Bangladesh this ​year, and another 426 with symptoms consistent with the ‌disease, health officials said ‌on Saturday, as the country battles one ⁠of its ⁠worst outbreaks in decades.

Cases have spread rapidly in ​recent months, overwhelming hospitals and placing severe strain on already fragile healthcare services, particularly in rural districts and ​densely populated low-income urban areas.

Health authorities have identified ⁠62,507 suspected ⁠measles cases nationwide ⁠as ​well as 8,494 laboratory-confirmed infections between March 15 and May ​23, data ⁠from the Directorate General of Health Services showed.

Children under five are most vulnerable to severe infection and death, particularly those who have not been ⁠vaccinated or have only been partially immunized, health officials have ⁠said.

The World Health Organization said last month declining routine immunisation coverage had increased the risk of a large-scale outbreak.

Since then, the government has expanded emergency measles-rubella vaccination campaigns targeting young children.

The government says it has also deployed rapid response teams, strengthened disease surveillance and ⁠increased the distribution of vitamin A to reduce complications.

Measles is one of the world’s most contagious diseases but can largely be prevented through ​two doses of vaccine.

(Reporting by Ruma Paul, ​Editing by Andrew Heavens)

Copyright 2026 Thomson Reuters.

Exit mobile version