Site icon

Vance Says US Troop Deployment to Poland Has Been Delayed

WASHINGTON, May 19 (Reuters) – Vice President ⁠JD ⁠Vance on Tuesday told ⁠reporters that a U.S. troop deployment to ​Poland had been delayed, but added it was not accurate ‌to say that the troops ‌were being withdrawn from Europe.

Vance, at a White ⁠House ⁠briefing, said the United States wants to encourage Europe ​to “take more ownership” of the common defense.

“We’re not talking about pulling every single American troop out of Europe. We’re talking ​about shifting some resources around in a way that maximizes ⁠American ⁠security. I don’t think ⁠that’s ​bad for Europe,” he said.

The U.S. has been reviewing its ​troop presence in ⁠Europe and has long been expected to scale it back following demands from Trump that NATO take a larger role in the defense of Europe. The Pentagon ⁠has not yet detailed how it envisions future troop laydowns across ⁠the continent.

“We’ve not reduced the troop levels in Poland by 4000 troops. What we did is that we delayed a troop deployment that was going to go to Poland, that’s not a reduction, that’s just a standard delay in rotation that sometimes happens in these situations,” Vance said.

Reports about the ⁠change in the deployment of 4,000 troops to Poland has drawn sharp criticism from U.S. lawmakers concerned about the potential for Trump to abandon its allies.

(Reporting ​by Humeyra Pamuk and Steve Holland;Editing by ​David Ljunggren and Chizu Nomiyama)

Copyright 2026 Thomson Reuters.

Photos You Should See – April 2026

Exit mobile version